How can our country help refugees? Ethical, social and practical questions
Dealing with refugees is not only a difficult social issue: at the latest since the short-term change in German refugee policy in September 2015, the issue has also created a high political pressure to act. But both social and political discussion is torn between the poles of headless heart and heartless head, as the British Alexander Betts and Paul Collier put it. Idealism on the one hand and indifference or extremism on the other often dominate the picture. Discussions are often intense to bitter, and often lack basic knowledge.
What is needed is systematic and balanced reflection and action according to clear principles. This is the only way to arrive at an appropriate refugee policy – a policy that takes account of the overall context and the consequences of action. And which addresses the needs both of the refugees and of the helping society. The first step is to answer fundamental ethical, social and practical questions.
In this thematic unit, the pupils deal comprehensively with the topics of flight and asylum, find answers to fundamental questions and develop approaches for a prudent refugee policy. In this way, it offers young people the opportunity to form a well-founded opinion on how to deal with refugees.
- Module 1: Why do letters decide on life? A Mystery of Flight and Asylum
- Module 2: Excursus: What forms of protection exist for asylum seekers in Germany?
- Module 3: Excursus: How does the asylum procedure pass of in Germany?
- Module 4: Should climate change be recognised as a cause of flight?
- Module 5: Should rejected asylum seekers be deported?
- Module 6: How much should refugees adapt?
- Module 7: Right-wing populism – danger or enrichment for democracy?
- Module 8: Should refugees be relocated within the EU?
- Module 9: Should our country help refugees locally rather than here?
- Module 10: What measures should our country take to combat the causes of flight?
- Modul 11: Can and should our country limit the number of refugees?
- Module 12: Should we open our borders to all?
- Module 12: What interests does the hosting society have in refugee policy?